Thursday, February 20, 2014

Juicing for Detoxification...for the sceptic

I know there have been a zillion articles written about detoxing, frankly I felt like I read them and was still confused..is it effective, is it safe, is it hard to do, does is really work.

 As you may have read in my recent blogs I was struggling with a lot of health issues, weight gain, inflammation, terrible stomach issues so I went about trying to figure out what was happening inside.  Through blood tests I discovered that I had an enflamed liver (high enzyme level on my blood test ) indicating that my liver was "clogged" and my body was not processing what I was putting into it. My doctor said "your liver is struggling"...well as you can imagine that really got my attention.  Because the liver is the "cleaner" of the body this became my main focus for getting healthy. 

 I chose to work with a holistic MD who really understood how food and not pharmaceuticals can actually be your medicine in curing important health issues.  After she clearly understood my history and issues the first thing she recommended was juicing to detox the liver.  As I sat there listening to her describe the process I felt nervous and a bit skeptical but frankly nothing else was working for me so I listened.
When you juice..and I mean juice..not blend foods,.it becomes the key!! as juices are easily digested and absorbed by the body, and fruits and vegetables can be combined in so many different ways depending on what healing properties you need. It become the ultimate medicine . By Juicing your food you supply a concentrated amount of vital nutrients in a manageable amount.  if you juice a medium glass of carrot juice it can be the equivalent to eating a pound of carrots.  Juicing can neutralize the acids and stimulate the functions of the bowels, liver and kidneys, eliminating toxins, chemicals and waste products from the body.

 My MD explained that my troubled liver needed time to get healthy and pure organic vegetable and fruit juices would start to clean the liver of all the "bad" stuff I had consumed  like bad fats, sugars, alcohol etc. in addition I added valuable vitamins in liquid and tablet form such as B complex, C-D-E- Magnesium and others to boost my immune system. Best part is you don't need to buy anything except a juicer and fresh foods. Don't buy those Detox pills or kits you see in stores

I use a book called "Juicing Can Save Your Life" to guide me in the types of foods I should juice depending on what I was trying to achieve. I've done  several 3 day juice detox's over the last 4 months for liver, kidney, skin problems etc. and I'm very happy to say that juicing along with a restricted diet of fresh foods and limited high carb foods has brought my enzyme levels back to the normal range and I have lost 35 lbs.  my inflammation has diminished by 75% and I can exercise everyday.
Let Food be thy Medicine!!

No comments:

Post a Comment